Choc Berry Bites
Full of polyphenols from dark chocolate, good fats from nuts and antioxidants from strawberries. What’s not to love!
Calories per serving: 146
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes plus time to set
- 100 g plain dark chocolate (around 85% cocoa solids)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 15 g flaked almonds, roughly chopped
- 15 g pistachios (shelled), roughly chopped
- 6 strawberries, washed and dried
- To melt the chocolate, fill half a small saucepan with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Break chocolate into squares and place in a heat-proof bowl along with the coconut oil. Carefully place the bowl on the saucepan making sure the base of the bowl is not touching the surface of the water. Leave to melt slowly for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, microwave the chocolate and coconut oil on high for 1-2 minutes in intervals of 30 seconds, stirring chocolate between each interval until chocolate is almost fully melted.
- Carefully remove the hot bowl from the saucepan. Stir the pistachios and half the almonds into the chocolate mixture.
- Distribute the remaining almonds evenly into the bottom of 6 ice cube moulds.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into the ice cube moulds, then top each with a strawberry, stem side up.
- Place moulds in fridge and leave for approximately 2-3 hours or until set before serving.
TIP: These treats are for enjoyment every now and then and preferably after a meal. If strawberries are not in season, any fresh berries will work. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge or cool dark cupboard.