Pumpkin and Pancetta Soup
Switching out sweet potato for pumpkin makes this a lower-carb version of a member favourite. Full of protein and delicious!
Calories per serving: 316
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 40 g pancetta, diced
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 200 g butternut pumpkin (squash), peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 x 400 g tin canned brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic and pancetta. Cook until the onion starts to soften, approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, pumpkin, tomatoes and the lentils and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until pumpkin is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the broccoli and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. You may choose to blitz soup with a hand blender until smooth or leave chunky.
- Serve across two bowls, season and top with parsley.
- Drain and rinse all canned lentils prior to use (the drained liquid usually contains starch and salt, which is not required).
- Drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand. The drained weight of tinned lentils in this recipe equates to approx. 120g/4.2oz and 124 calories.
- Switch tinned lentils for dry – 55g/1.9oz of dry lentils is the equivalent to the half tin in this recipe, add at the same step of the recipe.