Chickpea Soup with Greens
Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and offer a variety of health benefits including improved digestion and reducing the risk of several diseases. They are also high in protein and an important vegetarian staple!
Serves 1 with leftovers
Calories per serving: 222
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- ½ garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk, sliced into 1/2cm or ¼ inch pieces
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into batons
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp chilli flakes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 500ml water
- 30g spinach leaves
- 50g silverbeet (swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- Put a large pot on the stove and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and then stir to sauté until the onion has softened.
- Sprinkle over the oregano, chilli, sea salt and pepper and mix through. Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and water and combine and heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover and cook for approx. 40 minutes. Keep an eye on the soup to ensure it doesn’t dry too much – add water if required.
- Next, add the spinach and silverbeet (swiss chard) and stir through for 2 – 3 minutes to wilt and heat. Divide and refrigerate half the soup in an airtight container for leftovers. Serve the remainder in a warm bowl and season with pepper. Enjoy!
LEFTOVER TIP: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, reheat the soup and serve seasoned with pepper.