Chickpea Soup with Greens
Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and offer a variety of health benefits including improved digestion and reducing the risk of several diseases. They are also high in protein and an important vegetarian staple!
Serves 1 with leftovers
Calories per serving: 222
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- ½ garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk, sliced into 1/2cm or ¼ inch pieces
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into batons
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp chilli flakes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 500ml water
- 30g spinach leaves
- 50g silverbeet (swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- Put a large pot on the stove and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and then stir to sauté until the onion has softened.
- Sprinkle over the oregano, chilli, sea salt and pepper and mix through. Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and water and combine and heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover and cook for approx. 40 minutes. Keep an eye on the soup to ensure it doesn’t dry too much – add water if required.
- Next, add the spinach and silverbeet (swiss chard) and stir through for 2 – 3 minutes to wilt and heat. Divide and refrigerate half the soup in an airtight container for leftovers. Serve the remainder in a warm bowl and season with pepper. Enjoy!
LEFTOVER TIP: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, reheat the soup and serve seasoned with pepper.
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find out more!
Looking to try the Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme! All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.