Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowl
A bowl full of goodness, packed with flavour and great textures.
Serves 1 with leftovers
Calories per serving: 467
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 225 g skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ x 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed (see note)
- 1 baby cos (romaine) lettuce, shredded
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a shallow dish, combine the chicken strips, cumin, paprika and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside and leave to marinate.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Store half in an air-tight container for leftovers. Keep the remaining half warm.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken strips and crushed garlic and cook for 8 minutes, until browned. Add the black beans and cook for an additional 2 minutes. If saving half for leftovers, refrigerate half the mixture in an air-tight container.
- In a bowl, combine the lettuce, onion and tomato. Serve half the salad on a plate, If saving half for leftovers, refrigerate the remainder in an air-tight container.
- Add the warm quinoa to your salad and top with the chicken strips and warmed black beans. Season with salt and pepper and squeeze over lime juice. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and enjoy!
Leftover tip: When you are ready to eat the leftovers, gently re-heat the chicken and black bean mix. Re-warm the quinoa and combine it with the salad. Serve topped with warm chicken and black beans and dress with lime juice, seasoning and coriander leaves.
Note: The drained liquid in tinned beans and lentils usually contains starch and salt, which is not required. The drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand. The drained weight of tinned black beans in this recipe equates to approx. 118g and 108 calories.
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find more here!
Looking to try The Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme here. All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.