Mild Kimchi-style Sauerkraut
Otherwise known as Asian sauerkraut, Kimchi is a spicy, exotic, strongly flavoured fermented vegetable dish popular in Korean cuisine. This recipe is a milder version.
Calories: 220 (whole recipe)
- ½ medium white cabbage, quartered lengthwise, hard core removed, sliced into 1½-2cm ribbons
- 1½ red onions, halved and sliced
- ½ tbsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tsp garlic, grated
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2-4 tsp chilli flakes, according to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 x 250ml clean jam jars with tight-fitting lids
- Mix the cabbage with the onion in a large bowl, sprinkling the salt between the layers as you fill it. Massage the salt into the veg. Leave it for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and mix well.
- Spoon the cabbage mixture and the juices into jars.
- Pack the mixture down in the jars, pressing it into the mixture. Leave 1.5-2cm space at the top. If there is not enough liquid to cover the mixture you can top up either with a few teaspoonfuls of filtered water or brine (made with 1 tsp sea salt dissolved in 200ml filtered water).
- You can use a stone or piece of ceramic to keep the veg submerged. Place the sealed jars on a plate to catch any overflow. Keep them at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. For the first few days, open the jars daily and press down the contents, to release the bubbles formed by the sauerkraut.
- After 3-4 days, gently mix in the rest of the ingredients and compress the contents until they’re covered with liquid again.
- Then repeat this compressing process every few days for 1-2 weeks (usually about 1 week will do) tasting each time you open the jar, continue until it is fermented to your taste.
- Then store the jars in the fridge for 2-3 months.
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find out more!
Looking to try the Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme! All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.