Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup with Pancetta
A delicious soup for colder days! This hearty soup will keep you fuller for longer and it’s already a firm favourite for members on our Online Programme.
Calories per serving: 327
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 40 g pancetta, diced
- 360ml vegetable stock
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 x 400 g tin canned brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic and pancetta. Cook until the onion starts to soften, approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, sweet potato, tomatoes and the lentils and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Then, add the broccoli and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve in a warm bowl, season and top with parsley.
- Drain and rinse all canned lentils prior to use (the drained liquid usually contains starch and salt, which is not required).
- Drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand. The drained weight of tinned lentils in this recipe equates to approx. 120g/4.2oz and 124 calories.
- Switch tinned lentils for dry – 55g/1.9oz of dry lentils is the equivalent to the half tin in this recipe, add at the same step of the recipe.
- If you’re looking for a slightly lower carb option, swap out the sweet potato for pumpkin or butternut squash, if in season.
- On a non-fasting day, serve with a side of wholemeal or sourdough bread. Alternatively, serve with additional non-starchy vegetables to pack even more nutrients into your bowl!