What is a Multivitamin?
These days, multivitamins are readily available – it can be difficult to know which ones offer real value for money. If you choose the right multivitamin, they can offer a range of benefits and can complement your dietary intake to safeguard your nutrition, especially on fasting days.
What is a multivitamin?
A multivitamin is a dietary supplement offering micronutrient support to complement a healthy diet; it can fill the gaps to offer nutritional insurance and avoid deficiencies. While it’s a multi-million pound industry, multivitamins actually have very few regulations. So, we recommend that you take care and are informed as to what makes a good one.
Vitamins and minerals are compounds essential for normal bodily functioning. In concert, they perform a number of critical roles and allow us to achieve optimum health; they support the immune system, aid energy production and support overall development and repair.
The body does not naturally produce vitamins and minerals, or if they do, it is in very limited amounts. As humans, the best way to get these essential nutrients is through food, and also with a daily multivitamin for a peace of mind.
Fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins
There are 4 fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, E and K), as well as 2 water-soluble vitamins (vitamins B and C).
Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water and absorb directly into the bloodstream as they are consumed. Your kidneys monitor and control the levels of these vitamins. Any excess to your daily needs flush out in urine, meaning water-soluble vitamins need to be replenished daily. As a result, there’s less risk in taking more than we require but taking high doses (unless your healthcare professional has prescribed them) is simply a waste of money.
Fat-soluble vitamins dissolve in fat and can be stored in fat tissue. They do not pass as easily and can therefore build up and potentially cause toxicity. Importantly, be aware of multivitamins claiming to have any nutrient in very high doses; unless advised by a healthcare professional, your body does not need them. Further, the risk involved is both undesirable and unnecessary.
Why have we created one?
Although a balanced diet is the best source of essential vitamins and minerals, it’s difficult to determine when all your needs are fulfilled, particularly on fasting days. Additionally, some vitamins are more difficult to absorb from food alone. Given these micronutrients are critical for immune function, an effective multivitamin can help fill nutritional gaps and offer nutritional assurance.
While we always recommend eating a diet packed with a variety of whole foods, The Fast 800 Multivitamin is a great way to safeguard your nutrition.
What makes our multivitamin different?
- The Fast 800 Multivitamin contains 100% NVR of all 13 vitamins, and 10 minerals. Dr Michael Mosley has chosen each vitamin and mineral to support fasting and The Fast 800 lifestyle.
- If you’re vegetarian, vegan or in the process of reducing your meat and dairy consumption, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3 are hard to come by through plant-based food alone. The Fast 800 Multivitamin has your daily 100%NRV (nutrient reference value) of Vitamin B12 and D3, along with Iron and Zinc.
- Women over the age of 50 have a higher risk of being deficient in vitamins B6, B12 and vitamin D. Also, they require more calcium. The Fast 800 Multivitamin contains all of these vital vitamins and minerals, particularly important for women over 50 if they practice fasting of any form.
- Selenium is not always in multivitamins and if so, in smaller amounts. The Fast 800 Multivitamin contains 100%NRV of Selenium, a powerful antioxidant that plays a crucial role in your metabolism. A recent Italian study found that giving selenium supplements to obese patients who were dieting helped with weight loss.1
Alongside a moderately low carb, Mediterranean-style diet, The Fast 800 Multivitamin covers your daily nutritional needs, on both fasting and non-fasting days. By taking a multivitamin, you’ll be getting a daily peace of mind, by safeguarding your nutrition, on your journey to lose weight for better health.
Please note – The Fast 800 Multivitamin is currently available in the UK only.
1. Cavedon E, Manso J, Negro I, et al. Selenium Supplementation, Body Mass Composition, and Leptin Levels in Patients with Obesity on a Balanced Mildly Hypocaloric Diet: A Pilot Study. Int J Endocrinol. 2020;2020:4802739. Published 2020 May 28. doi:10.1155/2020/4802739