Low Calorie Prawn Recipe: Pot Roast Prawns
- Prep time:5 mins
- Cook time:25 mins
Try this low calorie prawn recipe for an easy, fasting day dinner created by one of our new guest recipe developers!
This recipe was developed by Bintu at Recipes from a Pantry in collaboration with The Fast 800 – bringing you some West African-inspired recipes to try. Applying the Mediterranean-diet principles to different cuisines means you can enjoy lots of different flavours while still encompassing the pillars of The Fast 800.
Bintu says about this dish: “This has the classic combination of one of my favourite food smells; onion, bay leaf and scotch bonnet chilli that signifies the start of very many stews that were cooked in my household growing up.”
If you’re looking for more low calorie recipes, our Online Programme is a great place to find them. We have over 600 exclusive recipes that follow the principles of a Mediterranean-style diet, while bringing in flavours from different cuisines.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into very thin half moons
- ¼ scotch bonnet chilli - deseeded and diced, added to taste (or omit, or substitute)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp tomato concentrate (paste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp vegetable stock powder
- 160ml water
- 200g raw shelled king prawns
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add in the onions, scotch bonnet, bay leaf and 60ml of water, cover and saute on low heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until softened. You might need to add another couple of tablespoons of water if the water dries out.
- Open, stir in the tomato puree, garlic, thyme, and stock powder, followed by the water, cover and cook on low heat stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Important to cook this on low heat and to stir regularly as this gravy is very thick and will burn if not.
- Open the pot, add in the king prawns and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they change colour and have cooked through.
- Taste, adjust seasoning and serve with parsley on top.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.