Low Carb Cherry Trifle
A simple cake and low sugar fruits make this low carb trifle feel truly decadent for any celebration. Using cherries from a jar means it can be made all year round or switch the cherries for your favourite seasonal low sugar fresh fruits.
What we love about this upgrade from a classic? This low carb trifle recipe is gluten free and made from almond flour to bolster protein and healthy fats. This is how we achieve less than 15% carbohydrates (and only 6g of sugar) per serve, rather than the usual 48% you’ll find in the store bought version.
Nutrition (per serving):
- Calories 373kcal
- Protein 8.5g
- Fibre 3.2g
- Carbs 12.3g
- Sugar 6.1g
- Fat 31.9g
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
- 2 oranges (300g)
- 8 soft pitted dates
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 300g almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 400ml whipping cream
- 400g pitted morello cherries
- whole fresh cranberries or cherries to garnish
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/170°C fan/Gas mark 5.
- Line a 22-24cm cake tin.
- Wash your oranges and prick them all over with the tip of a knife. Microwave in a covered bowl for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Chop and deseed the oranges and place in a food processor with the chopped dates, olive oil and eggs. Blitz until well combined. Add the almond meal, baking powder and blend into a batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and spread mix evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. Set aside to cool.
- Whip your cream into firm peaks and cut your cake into 1cm (⅓ inch) slices.
- Layer your trifle – start with the cake, pressing firmly to the side of the dish (to create clean layers), add a layer of cherries, scoop on a layer of whipped cream – then repeat to fill your trifle dish finishing with a cream layer.
- Be generous with the top most cream layer – top with whole fresh cherries or cranberries to really wow your guests. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Premake your cake the day before to save time.