Mediterranean Mozzarella Chicken
This Mediterranean mozzarella chicken recipe has been a member favourite on our Online Programme for a long time.
Adding the mozzarella cheese to this low carb chicken dish may seem decadent – but it tastes delicious and keeps you feeling full and satisfied. The secret to this mozzarella chicken tasting so good is in the sauce – making your own tomato based sauce gives this dish a rich intensity that pairs perfectly with the chicken and cheese. With only eight ingredients our Mediterranean mozzarella chicken will soon become a favourite in your house too.
Calories per serving: 375
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Fresh basil, chopped roughly
- 150mls vegetable stock*
- 125g skinless chicken breast
- 30g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven to fan forced 180°C/200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion softens. Add the chopped tomatoes, basil leaves and stock then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer with the lid off for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken (it may need longer if making in bigger batches).
- Meanwhile, lightly pound the chicken breast to increase the surface area and place the chicken in an oven-proof dish. Cover the chicken with the sauce from the pan and add grated mozzarella to cover the dish. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through and the cheese is melted.