Beetroot Hummus, Quick and Easy
A lovely light lunch for one, alongside non-starchy vegetable batons, or a great sharing dish for the family. Our beetroot hummus recipe takes just a few minutes to put together and can be made in advance, if needed.
For more inspiration from our fantastic nutritionist, sign up to your 7 day free trial to get access to over 450 delicious, Mediterranean-style recipes.
Calories per serving: 220 calories
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: Nil
- 50g cooked beetroot (see notes)
- 1/4 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 lemon, juice
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor then blitz and pulse to achieve a paste. Keep an eye on the mixture as you pulse and add more water if it’s starting to look dry. Blitz for longer (and possibly add more water) if you prefer your dip creamy and smooth. Taste and season as required.
- Serve with fresh veggie sticks or atop your salad on non fasting days.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Batch make to reduce food wastage and make it easier to blend – use as a dip or add to salads. If making only a single serve, a mortar and pestle may be easier than a blender. This beetroot hummus can also be frozen in portions.
- The drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand. The drained weight of tinned chickpeas in this recipe equates to approx. 60g (2oz) and 69 calories.
- You can buy pre-cooked beetroot (beets) in the fresh vegetable section of the supermarket. Avoid tinned beetroot (beets) as this usually has sugar added. Steam raw beetroot (beets) if you prefer.