Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Prep time:70 mins
- Cook time:0 mins
At The Fast 800, we love a recipe that contains a hidden fruit or vegetable, so this indulgently sweet dessert felt like a no-brainer!
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse’s hidden fruit is avocado, as the name might suggest. This ingredient is high in both fibre and healthy fats, and its creamy texture lends itself perfectly to a mousse consistency. It also contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds, as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals which help protect against heart disease, promote a healthy body weight and support gut health. So, this dessert is not only tasting good, it’s doing good too.
To transform the avocado into a deliciously indulgent chocolate dessert, unsweetened cocoa powder is used. It’s rich in polyphenols that have significant health benefits such as reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels, helping to reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke, and improving blood flow to the brain. Additionally, cocoa flavanols have also been linked to an improvement in mood, which may explain why this dessert puts such a smile on your face!
Though cocoa is where the chocolatey flavour comes from in this dessert, the sweetness is really all down to the dates. They’re high in fibre, which assists with gut health and preventing constipation and rich in disease-fighting antioxidants.
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan – perfect for a dinner party and suitable for everyone! It was developed by Matt Williamson, in collaboration with The Fast 800, who’s bringing you a variety of family-friendly recipes to try (find more on The Fast 800 Programme), all of which are in keeping with our Mediterranean-style principles to help keep you on track of your goals.
- 1 ripe avocado (approx 125g)
- 5g chopped pistachio (or your favourite nuts)
- Fresh or frozen raspberries (optional)
- 20g dates, chopped
- 10g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60ml unsweetened almond milk
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 30ml water, boiled
- Place the dates in a tall jug with the hot water, let it sit for 5 minutes then blitz until smooth with a stick blender.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh into the jug. Add the unsweetened cocoa powder, salt and a splash of almond milk.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, you can add more almond milk gradually until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste the mousse and adjust the sweetness by adding more dates if needed.
- Once the mousse is smooth and sweetened to your liking, transfer it to serving glasses or bowls.
- Refrigerate the mousse for at least 1 hour to chill and firm up and serve topped with the nuts and raspberries.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Serve cold.
- Avocado flavour too strong? Swap half the avocado with some coconut cream or half a banana (you’ll likely need fewer dates if doing this option).