Tortilla Soup (Sopa de Tortilla)
- Prep time:15 mins
- Cook time:15 mins
This classic Mexican recipe, Tortilla Soup, uses whole grain tortilla for a healthier alternative and is packed full of veggies and flavour to bring you a deliciously filling lunch option. At just 345 calories, this is another fasting-friendly vegetarian dish to add to your recipe repertoire.
The use of wholemeal tortilla in this dish provides more fibre and health-protecting plant compounds than regular tortillas, which helps get this recipe’s fibre content up to 5.3g per portion. Similarly, the green peppers used in this recipe are also fibrous, but not only that; they are additionally high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds such as carotenoids, phenolic acids, vitamin C and vitamin B6. These help to make this fruit (yes, fruit) protective against digestive issues, anaemia, heart disease, cancer and even vision loss.
While it can be difficult to make a vegetarian soup high in protein, topping this dish with protein-rich feta helps to make sure it’s still contributing to your daily recommended protein intake. It is also a good source of bone-friendly calcium and contains a beneficial fatty acid called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which may help reduce body fat while increasing lean mass. Alongside the crumbled feta, topping this Sopa de Tortilla soup with avocado slices helps to boost satiety with its healthy fats, and provides a whole host of other health benefits – you must be used to hearing us rave about them by now!
We collaborated with Karla at Mexican Food Memories who developed this recipe as part of a range of traditional, delicious, low-calorie Mexican recipes. Batch-cook in advance, freeze up portions ready to enjoy as a healthy lunch over the coming weeks, and enjoy!
- 4 small wholemeal tortilla, cut into strips
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 60g feta cheese, crumbled
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Brush the tortilla/s on both sides with a little oil before cutting into thin strips. Place onto a lined baking tray. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the saucepan. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and slightly golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and green pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Pour in the stock and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for about 10 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the soup is ready, transfer it to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the baked tortilla strips over the soup as a crunchy topping along with avocado slices and feta cheese. Serve immediately.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Store leftovers without the toppings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
- Batch-cook and freeze in portions for up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat before serving.
- Some brands of cheese (including feta) may contain rennet so are not strictly vegetarian. Check the product you buy uses vegetarian ingredients. Brands vary, it is always important to read labels first.