Chocolate beetroot brownies
Challenge anyone to identify the main ingredient!
Calories per serve: 128
- 100g coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 275g cooked beetroot, drained and cut into small chunks
- 3 large eggs
- 60g cocoa powder
- 100g soft pitted dates
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flower
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g plain dark chocolate (around 85% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (fan 180, gas 6). Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm loose-based square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the beetroot, eggs, cocoa powder, dates and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until thoroughly combined. You can also blend the ingredients together in a bowl using a stick blender.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt and the bicarbonate of soda and blend until well combined. Add an extra tablespoon of water to loosen the mixture, if needed. Stir in the chocolate, then spoon into the prepared tin, spreading to the sides. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until risen and just firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cut into squares to serve.
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find more here! Looking to try the Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme here. All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.