Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
- Prep time:20 mins
- Cook time:20 mins
We’ve been getting creative in the kitchen with our indulgent, oozy and surprisingly healthy chocolate beetroot brownie. The secret to these squares of goodness is one ingredient your taste testers will never guess.
Beetroot has an abundance of health benefits; they have been scientifically proven to contribute to reducing inflammation, improving digestive health and have also been recognised to suppress appetite. Their natural sweetness, and low amount of calories, makes beetroot brownies the perfect occasional treat.
To make this recipe simple and easy to follow, our in-house nutritionist, Gabi, has filmed a video making the chocolate beetroot brownies so you can see exactly how we get the perfect finish!
- 100g coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 275g cooked beetroot, drained and cut into small chunks
- 3 large eggs
- 60g cocoa powder
- 100g soft pitted dates
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g plain dark chocolate (around 85% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (fan 180, gas 6).
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm loose-based square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the beetroot, eggs, cocoa powder, dates and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until thoroughly combined. You can also blend the ingredients together in a bowl using a stick blender.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt and the bicarbonate of soda and blend until well combined.
- Add an extra tablespoon of water to loosen the mixture, if needed.
- Stir in the chocolate, then spoon into the prepared tin, spreading to the sides.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until risen and just firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cut into squares to serve.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.