Turkey Bolognese: The Easy Way
Bolognese is a traditional, slow-cooked sauce, an Italian ragu, typically served with spaghetti. Packed with flavour, nutrients and protein, our easy turkey bolognese is warm and comforting, even on the coldest of days.
By switching the beef for turkey, we’ve simplified this easy bolognese recipe to make a quick and delicious variation; you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes! A turkey bolognese is also a great way to use up vegetables that are looking a bit lonely at the back of the fridge and serving it up with courgetti (zoodles) instead of spaghetti will keep the carbs low, and up your family’s veggie intake.
Dish it up for the whole family or make a bigger batch and freeze it for a quick meal later in the month. You can also use this sauce to stuff peppers (capsicum) or make a lasagne.
Calories per serve: 387
½ tbsp olive oil
¼ onion, finely chopped
150g turkey mince
½ x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
100ml vegetable stock
½ tbsp tomato puree (paste)
½ tsp dried oregano
15g parmesan cheese, grated
½ courgette (zucchini), spiralised
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and saute onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes, until onion is translucent and soft.
- Add turkey mince and fry off for 4-5 minutes until browned. Add the tinned tomatoes, water, tomato puree/paste, stock cube and oregano – stir through and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Arrange spiralised courgette/zucchini on your plate, top with bolognese and parmesan.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
- Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat before serving.
- Batch cook and freeze in portions for a convenient meal.
- If you prefer, stir the courgette/zucchini into the bolognese for 30-60 seconds at the end to cook through.
- Bolognese is a great way to use up vege that are looking a little worse for wear – add spinach, carrot, celery, red peppers/capsicum, green beans, or pretty much anything you’ve got leftover in the crisper drawer.
Developed in conjunction with Dr Michael Mosley, The Fast 800 is an innovative approach to healthy living and weight loss based on the latest scientific research.
The online programme is for those that need more support and guidance for achieving long lasting health. Consult your healthcare professional and read our FAQs and medical disclaimer before beginning any diet or fitness regime.