Fruit Mince Ice Cream
- Prep time:15 mins
- Cook time:40 mins
Extend the joy of the fruit mince tradition through the summer with this fun take on a festive classic. The use of full fat coconut milk offers a sweetness and texture that is the perfect base to carry these festive flavours. While this recipe contains more sugars than our usual, they are all from whole foods and balanced with fibre and fat.
Why we love this upgrade on a classic? Even though we’ve used about half the amount of dried fruit to a traditional fruit mince recipe, we have achieved the spice and sweetness that reflects the essence of this classic flavour.
Note: Prep time is 15 minutes plus overnight chilling, so you’ll need to make this the day before!
- 1 litre (2.5 x 400g tin) coconut milk (full fat)
- 4 x medjool pitted dates
- 80ml hot water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves (or 4 whole cloves)
- 40g dried unsweetened cranberries
- 40g currants
- 40g mixed peel
- 2 tsp grated root ginger (about 4cm)
- 1 tbsp water
- Make the ice cream: chop the dates and place in a blender with hot water, vanilla and salt. Blitz into a paste then add the coconut milk and whizz together.
- Pour the coconut mix into a container and put in the freezer.
- Make the fruit mince: In a pot over very low heat, add all remaining ingredients and allow to stew with the lid on for 10-15 minutes – stir regularly.
- Refrigerate the fruit mince mixture so it cools completely.
- Combine: After an hour or two, pull the ice cream out of the freezer and give it a stir – pour it into a mould if you’re using one (a loaf tin works well!).
- Scoop the fruit mince into the ice cream and gently stir through to distribute. Return to the freezer and leave overnight to freeze solid.
- Turn out of the mould and slice (or scoop out in portions) and serve between eight.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.