Baked Mozzarella Meatballs
Adapted from the recipes found in The Fast 800 Keto.
A delicious, warming meal that certainly doesn’t feel like diet food! Cheesy goodness and a versatile sauce that the whole family is sure to love. Serve with a generous side of green veg (or some other complex carbs on non-fasting days).
Calories per serving 399
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
- 460g beef mince
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 peppers, any colour, cut into chunks
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 120g mozzarella, grated
- 100ml water
- fresh basil
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Preheat the oven to fan forced 180°C/200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a pot over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, tomato, spices and water. Cover with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes – stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- If you’d like a less chunky sauce – use a stick blender to whizz the sauce until smooth.
- While the sauce is cooking, make your meatballs: mix mince and oregano together with a little salt and pepper. Using your hands, form the mixture into small meatballs (about 25-30g each or 3-4 per serve).
- Pour the sauce into a baking dish and add the meatballs in – scatter over the mozzarella. Bake for about 20 minutes (larger batches may need longer).
- Serve with fresh basil and a side of veg.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
- Batch cook and freeze in portions for up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat before serving.
- Serve with a crunchy green salad or steamed low calorie non-starchy vegetables.