Green Brekkie Bowl
Breakfast bowls aren’t just limited to cereal! Try out this vegetable-packed breakfast bowl that’s full of flavour and nutrition.
Calories per serving: 343
Prep time: 4 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 70 g kale, hardy stems removed and leaves shredded
- ½ courgette (zucchini), (approx. 75g or 2 2/3 oz), chopped
- 5 baby mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g raw spinach leaves
- 2 large free range eggs
- ½ avocado, mashed
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Place a large fry-pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, spices, kale and courgette. Cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until the kale turns soft. Now add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the spinach, turn off the heat and stir through.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs. To do this, pour cold water into a large saucepan until approx. 8cm deep. Add some vinegar to the water. Bring the water to the boil, then reduce the heat to low (water should still be simmering around the edge). Crack an egg into a shallow bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir the water to create a whirlpool. Tip the egg into the water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes for a soft yolk, or 3 to 4 minutes for a firm yolk. Using a slotted spoon, remove the egg from the water. Repeat with the other egg.
- Place the greens into a large bowl, add the mashed avocado and top with the poached eggs. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find more here!
Looking to try the Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme here. All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.