Healing Chicken Bone Broth
A slow cooked broth full of minerals and nutrients that are wonderfully nourishing for the gut and keeping you full for longer!
Makes approx. 2 litres, serves 8
Calories per serving: 49
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1kg chicken wings and/or chicken carcasses (ideally organic)
- 1 tbsp live apple cider vinegar (ideally organic)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni
- Handful of parsley stalks
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the celery, onions and leeks for 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, chicken, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, bouquet garni and parsley.
- Pour in 2-2.5 litres of water and bring everything to a gentle simmer, then cover the pan and cook gently for at least 3 hours, ideally 5-6 hours, to get the most nutrients from the bones.
- Check occasionally to ensure it has not dried out and top up with water if needed, skimming any scum from the surface.
- Place a sieve over a large bowl and pour the stock through it, allowing it to drip for 15 minutes. For a thicker, tastier broth you can gently press the soft vegetables through the sieve with a spoon.
- Either use it immediately or let it cool, then ladle it into containers and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen.
Want to look at more low calorie, low carb Mediterranean style recipes you can do yourself? Find out more!
Looking to try the Fast 800 but need some extra recipes, advice and support? Try out the 12 week programme! All costing you less than a daily cup of coffee.