Hot Cross Muffins
- Prep time:15 mins
- Cook time:40 mins
A delicious gluten and dairy free take on a classic, our Hot Cross Muffins.
Using almond meal as the base means they’re much higher in protein and significantly lower in carbs than the usual wheat-flour-based counterparts. Lightly spiced with the usual delicious flavours of hot cross buns, you won’t want to go back to the carb-heavy original. Serve warm with butter or your favourite dairy-free alternative.
One of this years new Easter inspired recipes, more available for members on the Online Programme.
- 2 large free range eggs
- 250ml full fat canned coconut milk (for muffins)
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 205g almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 80g currants
- 10g coconut flour
- 20ml water
- 20ml full fat canned coconut milk (for crosses)
- 1 ziplock bag / piping bag
- Preheat the oven to fan forced 160°C/180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray (or use a silicone muffin tray).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk (for muffins), orange juice and zest and vanilla extract.
- Add almond meal, baking powder, spices, and currants - mix until just combined. Spoon into a lined muffin tray and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut flour, water and remaining coconut milk. Spoon into a piping bag or small zip lock bag and pipe crosses onto the muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the tray and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Serve hot with butter or your dairy-free alternative.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.