Low Carb West African Recipe: Cauliflower Jollof
- Prep time:5 mins
- Cook time:15 mins
A Low Carb West African Recipe that can be whipped together in just 20 minutes. If you’re looking to increase your fibre intake, this is the dish for you!
This recipe was developed by Bintu at Recipes from a Pantry in collaboration with The Fast 800 – bringing you some West African-inspired recipes to try. Applying the Mediterranean-diet principles to different cuisines means you can enjoy lots of different flavours while still encompassing the pillars of The Fast 800. We’re releasing just four of our collaboration recipes but if you’re looking for more, all 23 recipes (plus over 550 more low carb recipes and meal plans) can be enjoyed on our Online Programme, click here to learn more.
Jollof is an iconic rice dish made in West Africa, to reduce carbs, this one is made with cauliflower rice. This dish will easily serve 3-4 people as a side, or 1-2 as more of a light meal.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato concentrate (paste)
- 400g cauliflower rice
- 120ml vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add in onion, pepper and bay leaf and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions have softened. Stir regularly so the onion does not burn.
- Reduce the heat to low and quickly stir in the garlic, ginger, thyme, ground coriander, white pepper and tomato concentrate until mixed in.
- Stir in the cauliflower and stock and stir until well combined.
- Then cover the saucepan and cook the cauliflower jollof on a low heat for 7-8 minutes until the cauliflower is steamed through. Taste, add salt if needed, discard bay leaf and serve as a side dish, or double the portion for a meal.
- Enjoy your low carb West African recipe!
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.