Low Calorie Thoran
- Prep time:10 mins
- Cook time:15 mins
A delicious low calorie thoran, loaded with spice and a brilliantly tasty fasting day recipe.
This recipe was developed by Sandhya’s Kitchen in collaboration with The Fast 800 – bringing you some traditional Indian recipes to try. Applying the Mediterranean-diet principles to different cuisines means you can enjoy lots of different flavours while still encompassing the pillars of The Fast 800. You can find more recipes from Sandhya by signing up to the Online Programme.
Thoran is a coconut-based vegetable dish originating from Kerala (an Indian State). It is often eaten as a side dish to curries and dals but could also be a light meal with cauliflower/broccoli rice on a fasting day or brown rice on a non-fasting day.
- 450g butternut squash, peeled, diced into chunks
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut, or fresh grated coconut
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies (or ½ tsp chilli flakes)
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely diced
- salt to taste
- Add the butternut squash cubes, turmeric and salt to a pan. Pour enough water to cover the squash. Cover with lid and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- If you are using desiccated coconut, soak the coconut in hot water for 5 minutes. Allow it to bloom and drain any remaining water. If you’re using fresh grated coconut, ignore this step and continue with the method.
- While the butternut squash is cooking, add the bloomed or fresh coconut and green chilli to a blender and blitz. Set aside.
- Once butternut squash is cooked, heat coconut oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dried red chillies. When the seeds begin to pop, add curry leaves and diced onion. Stir and cook on low heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the squash back to the pan with the coconut mixture and season with salt as needed. Stir and cook for another 2 minute.
- Enjoy with steamed cauliflower or broccoli rice on a fasting day.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.