Mulled Wine – a festive feel with no added sugar
A super simple version of mulled wine, without the added sugar but with all the festive feel.
While studies show that a glass or two of red wine has some health benefits, remember that wine is still an occasional treat as these benefits dissipate the more you drink. Resveratrol, a naturally-occuring chemical found in red grape skins and red wine may be beneficial for heart disease. Enjoy your mulled wine mindfully on non-fasting days, and with a meal!
Calories per serving: 99
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 750 ml dry red wine
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (remove the peel if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- Pour wine, orange slices, cloves, cinnamon and star anise into a large saucepan, bring to a very gentle simmer over medium heat. Try not to let it bubble too much as this is the alcohol cooking off.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low – continue to gently simmer for another 15 minutes (or longer for more pronounced spices).
- Taste and squeeze the orange slices into the wine for a sweeter taste – but be careful, they’ll be hot! Strain the wine into festive mugs and top with your favourite garnish (fresh orange, or spices from the pot).
- We’d recommend a full body wine to carry the spice flavour – try a shiraz or cabernet merlot.
Developed in conjunction with Dr Michael Mosley, The Fast 800 is an innovative approach to healthy living and weight loss based on the latest scientific research.
The online programme is for those that need more support and guidance for achieving long lasting health. Consult your healthcare professional and read our FAQs and medical disclaimer before beginning any diet or fitness regime.