A protein-rich vegetarian alternative to chilli con carne – spice it up to your liking!
Calories per serving: 336
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), (approx. 150g or 5 1/3 oz) chopped into small pieces
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained (see Notes)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 g plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp ground sweet paprika
- Fresh parsley
- Pour the olive oil into a large pot and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the celery, zucchini and capsicum and cook until the vegetables are soft, another 5 minutes. Next, add the chilli flakes, cumin, black beans and tomatoes (with their juices). Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add some water if the mixture thickens too quickly or starts to catch.
- Meanwhile, stir together the Greek yogurt, paprika and a pinch of sea salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Serve the chilli across two bowls and garnish with Greek yogurt and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Drain and rinse all tinned beans and lentils prior to use (the drained liquid usually contains starch and salt, which is not required).
- The drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand. The drained weight of tinned black beans in this recipe equates to approx. 235g and 216 calories.