Warm Pesto Lentils with Feta and Spinach
By Dr Clare Bailey
A super easy, microbiome-friendly Mediterranean-style recipe with lots of flavour, fibre and immunity supporting properties.
Calories per serve: 575
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 100g firm feta, diced
- 4 balls frozen spinach (about 100g), defrosted
- 250g cooked lentils , from pack or drained from a tin
- 2 tbsp pine nuts or cashews (or any seeds or nuts – best toasted)
- ½ small jar of pesto (about 50g)
- In a medium pan, sweat the onions in the oil for about 5 min until soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the lentils, feta, spinach, pine nuts and the pesto. Stir then add 4-5 tbsp water to loosen.
- Season with generous amounts of black pepper, and salt to taste.
Tips: Switch ingredients or add more, depending on what you have available, e.g. swap feta for fried halloumi, add some spices. If you don’t have pesto, add a tbsp lemon juice.