Healthy Easter Recipe: Hidden Hazelnut Chocolate Eggs
- Prep time:45 mins
- Cook time:0 mins
Easter is a time when it can feel difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle; with chocolatey treats filling supermarkets and homes, temptation is everywhere. Easter eggs can range from 500 to over 2300 calories with next to no nutritional value, but it can be difficult to find alternative healthy easter recipes to satisfy those chocolate cravings.
Enter: our delicious hidden hazelnut chocolate eggs.
This healthy easter recipe is in keeping with a balanced Mediterranean-style diet. No cooking or melting required, just throw the ingredients together and enjoy throughout the whole holiday. In no time you’ll have 20 eggs, each packed with 2.6g protein and 2.4g fibre, all for under 140 calories per egg. The naturally sweet Medjool dates and vanilla extract satisfy those sugar cravings, while the healthy fats from the whole hazelnuts even make them pretty filling to help reduce cravings later on.
Why not also try wrapping them in individual squares of aluminium foil for the ultimate healthy Easter egg hunt? You can thank us later.
- 8 Medjool dates, torn in half, pitted
- 125ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 1/2 cups) hazelnut meal
- 50g (1/2 cup) cacao, plus extra to dust
- 20 whole hazelnuts
- Place chopped dates, hot water, coconut oil and vanilla into a jug or high-sided bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes before blitzing with a stick blender until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl combine hazelnut meal and cacao before adding the date mixture and stirring well - it will likely be a bit sticky.
- With wet hands (or rub a little bit of coconut oil over them), compress and roll 20 balls about 2-3cm in diameter.
- Indent each ball with your thumb and pop a whole hazelnut into it - squishing the mixture around the nut.
- Sprinkle some cacao powder over the top through a sieve.
- Set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.