Healthy Halloween Soup: Spiced Pumpkin
- Prep time:15 mins
- Cook time:40 mins
Our healthy Halloween soup is the perfect way to make use of any leftover butternut squash or pumpkins, after a big day of carving!
Enjoy this warming, hearty and low-calorie meal with the whole family. Make sure to add some slices of wholegrain bread or Sourdough for children or those that are not following a fasting diet and of course, plenty of non-starchy vegetables to enjoy on the side for added nutrition.
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes, our Online Programme now has over 600! Join today with a 7-day free trial and get our nutritionist-developed meal plans, lively Community, exercise plans and so much more to help you on your weight loss journey.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg butternut squash (or pumpkin)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cm root ginger, grated
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 120 g plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to fan forced 180°C/200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Line a baking tray.
- Cut the skin off the pumpkin/squash, scoop out the seeds and cut into 3cm/1 inch chunks. Coat in the olive oil and place on the tray.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until browning.
- In a large pot, bring the onion, garlic, ginger and stock to a boil. Turn it off until the pumpkin/squash is cooked through.
- When the pumpkin/squash is cooked, add it to the pot with the nutmeg and blitz with a handheld blender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, and reheat to desired temperature for a delicious and healthy Halloween soup.
- Serve with Greek yogurt on top!
Join our email community
Learn more about The Fast 800 approach to healthy living by receiving our free content, health tips and recipes as well as exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox.
- Use any pumpkin for this recipe if butternut squash isn't in season.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
- Batch cook and freeze in portions for up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat before serving.
- If following a gluten-free diet, please check the label of the stock to ensure there are no sources of gluten.