Tuna and White Bean Mash
Food from cans, jars and the freezer can be just as tasty and healthy too! Switch out the fresh ingredients for their frozen/jar counterparts.
Calories per serving: 371
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 80g spinach leaves
- 1 x 185g tin tuna in olive oil
- ½ red pepper (capsicum), diced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Black pepper
- In a medium pan heat the garlic in the oil for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add your peppers (capsicum), and cook for 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the beans and stir until heated through. When warm, roughly mash the beans – add a dash of water to loosen the mix if required. Season with a generous amount of black pepper. Add the spinach and fold through until wilted.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small pan, heat the tuna gently in the lemon juice, breaking it up but not mashing it.
- Divide the bean mixture between a plate and a container for leftovers. Top each with the tuna. Salt to taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice or some chilli if you like.
Tip: For more flavour add capers, some fresh chilli or a dash of Tabasco.
Leftover tip: Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat when ready to serve or enjoy cold.
- If you don’t have the fresh ingredients on hand, use frozen spinach and/or 2 tbsp roasted red peppers from a jar.
- If substituting with frozen spinach, use about 3/4 of the weight of the fresh spinach. In this recipe, about 50g or two blocks.
- Any white beans will work for this dish – if you don’t have cannellini beans, try chickpeas or butter beans.
- Drain and rinse all tinned beans and lentils prior to use (the drained liquid usually contains starch and salt, which is not required). The drained weights and calories of tinned ingredients will vary (sometimes significantly) from brand to brand.
- The drained weight of tinned cannellini beans in this recipe equates to approx. 246g (8.7oz) and 236 calories.